There are many dating sites and apps out there these days. It can be difficult to choose the right one according to your needs. eHarmony used to be the gold standard for online dating, but then Tinder came along and took on all of its glory.
These two dating platforms differ a lot, but they are both excellent. They have different qualities and probably different types of users. eHarmony is more conventional than Tinder, which favors instant connections and quick dates.
eHarmony users are generally over 30, single and heterosexual. Read on for a detailed comparison.
eHarmony in a nutshell
eHarmony was founded in 2000 by theologian and psychologist Dr. Neil Clark Warren. As you can imagine, a founder with such experience takes dating seriously. Therefore, the app does not promote or support casual dating and instant hookups.
The goal of eHarmony is to invest people in a stable and lasting relationship, and even in a marriage. eHarmony gives you a very long test during signup and feeds your answers to its matching algorithm.
eHarmony is responsible for 2% of all marriages in the United States, which is a considerable number. It has millions of active users, but it has a neat mechanism. Even though you can use the platform for free, the premium option is just too good to pass up.
The mechanism mentioned is that you extend your three-month membership for another three months if you fail to find a relationship within the given time window (only if you were actually active and really trying to find a date).
eHarmony is a dating site, and there is no mobile app. Maybe that’s why it’s not as popular as Tinder. Sure, you can use eHarmony in a mobile browser, but that feels a bit clunky and awkward.
Tinder in a nutshell
On the other hand, Tinder is very functional, even if you use the free version of the application. Although Tinder has a site, most people use mobile apps for Android and iOS devices. Tinder also offers various paid plans that increase your visibility on the app, but they are not required.
Tinder has more users than eHarmony, just look at those download numbers. It is more popular all over the world and has different aims and purposes than its competitor on the web. Most people use it to get a date quickly, not to find a soul mate.
People usually use Tinder out of boredom, just to find some quick entertainment. Those looking for serious relationships have to go through a lot of bad dates until they find the right person.
These are generalizations, but you get the gist. If you like someone in your area, you’re more likely to find them on Tinder than on eHarmony. Tinder’s algorithm focuses primarily on your location while your interests and personality take a back seat.
You find dates on Tinder based on personal appearance and a short biography. Tinder has a somewhat superficial approach, but not everyone is looking for the love of their life.
Why Tinder is better
We have already discussed the strengths and some of the weaknesses of these two dating tools. Let’s get into the details to determine which platform is best for you. If you’re not aiming for a long-term relationship, but want to date someone, Tinder is better. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Tinder is free. You don’t need to pay anything to find interested parties and communicate with them immediately.
- It’s easier to use. Registration is fast and millions of people use it. In other words, you can find dates much faster on Tinder, without any hassle.
- It’s laid back. Everyone knows they can easily find someone else if a match isn’t working out. Also, you can easily ghost someone on Tinder.
- Communication is more relaxed. People are more likely to chat with more people at once on Tinder. The competition is fiercer too, but it goes both ways.
- Tinder is included. Of the two competitors, Tinder is more open to the LGBTQ+ population. People with a different sexual orientation and those with an open mind are likely to have more success on Tinder.
Why eHarmony is better
Tinder, good as it is, isn’t always a better option. eHarmony also has many advantages, and some people will appreciate it more than Tinder. The main reasons to use eHarmony are:
- It has a more serious audience. Generally speaking, it has a more mature user base, not just based on age. People on eHarmony mostly want a long-term relationship, even marriage. These things are almost taboo on Tinder.
- eHarmony has a better dating algorithm. Sorry Tinder, but it’s true. This algorithm can help you find the right person for you, and it’s not a sham. Many people have testified that they have found true love on eHarmony. There aren’t many such testimonials on Tinder.
- eHarmony is not just about looks. If you care more about personality, Tinder probably isn’t your cup of tea. On eHarmony, physical appearance takes second place.
- A more conservative environment. If you are an upright and conservative person, eHarmony is a better choice. People will understand and share similar principles with you.
- Paying for a dating site might not be such a bad thing. It shows that you are invested from the start. Most people on eHarmony want to find a loved one, not a quick date.
No clear winner
Tinder and eHarmony are equally good, but they cater to different people. The demographics of the users of these two platforms only meet at certain points. Both are dating sites, with the same (main) goal: bringing people together. However, Tinder is more about casual dating and socializing, while eHarmony is more about long-term commitment and marriage.
It’s up to you which one you want to use. You won’t go wrong with either one. Feel free to share your experiences and thoughts with us in the comments section below.