For some, Hinge isn’t just another dating app. Both the free and paid versions have useful features to help you narrow down your search for “the only one”.
However, just like other dating apps, Hinge makes sure that you are protected and safe while using it. You choose who you want to talk to and who you want to remove from your relationships. But how do you do that?
To learn more about the Delete button and other options that help you stay safe on Hinge, keep reading this article.
How to delete a match
If you’ve hooked up with someone, it means you probably have common interests and like each other based on a selection of personal details and your photos. However, that doesn’t mean you’re perfect for each other. If you have decided at any time that your correspondence is not suitable for you, you can delete them and stop all communication.
To unlink someone on Hinge, follow these steps:
- Open the Hinge app on your smartphone.
- Select the Matches tab to see the people you’ve matched with.
- Open the desired profile by tapping on it.
- In the upper right corner, select the three dots to see a menu of options.
- Select Unmatch, and the profile will be removed from your matches.
Note that you cannot rematch with anyone. Unmatching is like blocking someone on Hinge. Once you unlink someone, they can no longer see your profile.
If you only want to hide a match from plain sight, you can do this:
- Launch Hinge on your phone.
- Go to your matches drawer and tap on the match you want to hide.
- From the menu you’ll see after tapping the three dots, choose Hide.
This match will be moved to the bottom of the list, but will appear automatically if they message you. If you don’t exchange messages for two weeks, you don’t need to manually hide them – it happens automatically. You can of course display them if you wish.
What if you hadn’t pressed Delete?
If you haven’t removed someone from your matches, but you can’t find them, there are three possible reasons for this:
- You deleted your correspondence, but not on purpose. This may have happened accidentally while you were trying to press another option.
- This person has removed you from their matches and therefore you cannot find their account.
- They deactivated their Hinge profile.
How to Report Someone on Hinge
If someone is bothering you on Hinge, you can resolve it quickly by unlinking them. However, if they were violent or inappropriate, you should consider reporting them to the site. This will prevent them from finding someone else to bother. You don’t have to worry about your safety because reporting another user on Hinge is anonymous. Also, once you’ve reported someone, you can’t take them back.
Here’s how to report someone:
- Open the app and go to the profile of the person bothering you.
- Tap the dots icon to open the profile menu.
- Select Report.
- Select the reason for reporting the user.
How to delete your Hinge account
Have you found a good partner for yourself and started dating? If so, you might want to get rid of the app and delete your account. Remember that uninstalling the app from your smartphone will not automatically remove your profile from the app. It will stay there – you just won’t use it. To permanently delete your account from Hinge, follow these steps:
- Open the app and select Settings.
- Select the Account option.
- In the new screen, choose Delete account.
- Press to confirm.
After successfully deactivating your Hinge profile, you can proceed to uninstall the app from your mobile device.
Not ready to leave for good?
If you haven’t found a match yet, but you’re a little tired of scrolling, you can take a break. Disable your account for a while and come back when you’re ready to keep looking. Here’s how to suspend your account:
- Open your Hinge app.
- Go to Settings and select Account.
- In this menu, look for the Pause option.
- Switch the toggle to On.
This makes you invisible to new people. But you can continue to chat with your old matches. If you decide to resume using Hinge to discover people, you can go to the Discover screen and choose Unpause Profile. Another way is to go back to Account Settings and disable the Pause button.
There is also an unusual way to block new people from contacting you. If you are a premium member, you can set your filters to near impossible, like selecting all options as deal breakers. That way, it’s very unlikely that someone will appear to match your preferences.
To match or not to match
You matched someone, but you changed your mind. It happens. With Hinge’s first impression guessing features, you can remove someone from your matches. Once you do, you won’t need to talk to them again, and that won’t be possible. You will not be visible to each other at all. Before removing someone from your matches, think twice, as this action is permanent.
How was your experience with Hinge? Have you taken anyone out of your matches lately? Let us know in the comments section below.